okay can I just say something real quick before we get into this.

if you googled "how to reset your life" hoping for someone to tell you to wake up at 5am, drink lemon water and journal for 30 minutes you're in the wrong place. I mean this kindly. but also I've read those articles and they make me want to close the tab immediately because I already know all of that and knowing it hasn't helped a single bit.

resetting your life isn't about adding more habits to a list you're already ignoring. it's something weirder and more uncomfortable than that. it's about looking at what's actually going on underneath the identity you've built, the stories you've been telling yourself, the patterns you keep cycling through and calling bad luck.

I've been through a few genuine life resets. not the aesthetic kind where you reorganize your desk and buy a new planner. the real kind. the kind that happens quietly, over weeks, when you stop lying to yourself about a few important things. this is what actually moved the needle for me and what I wish someone had told me instead of "wake up early and take cold showers."

✨ save this. you'll want to come back to it more than once.

1. Change the Story First


1. Change the Story First

here's the thing nobody talks about. you can change every habit on the planet and still end up exactly where you started if you haven't changed what you believe about yourself. I spent like two years trying to "become disciplined" while my brain was still quietly running the background program of "you're someone who gives up." guess what kept happening.

the actions always catch up to the identity. always. your brain is constantly collecting evidence that confirms whatever story it already believes, so if the story is "I'm lazy" then every time you skip something it files that away as proof. it's not malicious, it's just how the brain works. the reset isn't changing the actions it's changing the sentence.

not "I'm trying to be disciplined." but "I'm a person who keeps promises to herself." even tiny ones. especially tiny ones. every time you follow through on something small drink the water you said you'd drink, send the email you've been avoiding for four days your brain files that as evidence of the new story. slowly, quietly, the identity shifts. and then the actions follow naturally because they're just matching who you already believe you are.

2. Stop Watching Motivation


2. Stop Watching Motivation

this one's going to sting a little and I'm saying it anyway. watching motivational content feels productive. it gives you this little rush of "okay yes I'm going to do the thing" and then you watch another video, and another, and two hours later you haven't done anything but you feel vaguely inspired and also kind of tired.

that's not an accident. imagining your future successful self gives your brain a small reward like a preview. and your brain, being the efficient little thing it is, sometimes accepts the preview as a substitute for the actual thing. you get some of the good feeling without doing any of the work, which sounds great until you realize you've been doing this for months and nothing has actually changed.

try this for one week. don't watch motivational content. don't tell anyone your plans. don't spend time imagining where you'll be in a year. just do today's actual work. only today's. it will feel weirdly boring and also weirdly effective. that's the point.

3. Ask What You're Avoiding


3. Ask What You're Avoiding

I asked myself "why am I so lazy" for years and got nowhere because that's not the right question. the right question is "what am I protecting myself from?" and sitting with that question is a lot more uncomfortable than googling productivity tips at midnight, which is probably why most people never get there.

sometimes the reason we don't start things is that if we never try, we never have to find out if we'd fail. and if we never start, we can keep the comfortable belief that we could have done it, we just didn't. that's a strange kind of self-protection but it's incredibly common and nobody talks about it. it's not laziness. it's fear wearing laziness as a disguise.

this doesn't mean you're broken or need to spiral about it. it just means the reset you actually need might start with being honest about what you're afraid of, not with downloading another productivity app. once I admitted I was scared my work would turn out to be mediocre if I actually tried like really admitted it, not just said it vaguely something shifted. it didn't fix everything immediately. but it changed what I was actually working with.

4. Delete the Comparison Feed


4. Delete the Comparison Feed

when I say delete I mean actually unfollow. not mute, not "I'll just scroll less" unfollow. the accounts that make you feel behind, the people whose highlight reel is functioning as your measuring stick, the content that consistently leaves you feeling vaguely bad about your own life without you being able to explain exactly why.

here's what comparison actually does that nobody explains properly: it makes you evaluate your real, messy, in-progress life against someone else's finished, edited, curated story. you're seeing their result and comparing it to your process. that's not a fair comparison and it's not even real information. it's just noise dressed up as inspiration.

I did a big unfollow session once, probably two years ago, and the relief was immediate. like physically noticeable. the mental chatter about being behind or not doing enough or why haven't I achieved that yet it just got quieter. I filled the feed with accounts that made me feel interested or curious or genuinely happy instead. your feed is a choice. you built it and you can rebuild it. the reset starts with what you let in.

5. Track Yourself Like a Scientist


5. Track Yourself Like a Scientist

for one month, every time you procrastinate or avoid something, write it down. not to judge yourself specifically not that. just to observe. what were you about to do, what did you do instead, and what were you feeling right before you switched? no commentary, no self-criticism, just data.

at the end of the month you'll have a pattern. and that pattern is more useful than any productivity tip you've ever read because it's specifically yours. mine revealed that I almost always avoid things when I feel slightly embarrassed about them, which is a very specific trigger I would never have identified by just trying to "be more disciplined." the data told me what I needed to change and it wasn't my habits it was my relationship with embarrassment.

this works because your brain is actually running on patterns you've never examined, not a character flaw called laziness. once you can see the pattern you can interrupt it. but you have to look first. most people never look. they just try to push through the same block over and over and wonder why the same block keeps appearing.

6. Ask the Pain Question


6. Ask the Pain Question

everyone wants the good outcome. the successful career, the confident version of themselves, the life that looks like the one they've been imagining. that part is easy to want. the harder question the one that actually predicts whether you'll get there is what discomfort are you willing to keep showing up for?

a programmer accepts hours of nothing working and then having to figure out why. a writer accepts the gap between what they imagined and what they actually produced, for a long time, before the gap starts to close. someone building a business accepts uncertainty for months or years before anything becomes stable. the reward is attached to a specific kind of recurring difficulty, and if you're not willing to do that difficulty repeatedly, the reward isn't really available to you.

this isn't meant to be discouraging. it's the opposite it's clarifying. when I figured out that I was genuinely willing to show up for the uncomfortable parts of writing even when it wasn't going well, I understood that this was actually the path for me. not because it was always easy, but because the difficulty was tolerable in a way it wasn't with other things I'd tried. find your tolerable difficulty. that's usually where your actual direction lives.

7. Clean One Thing Properly


7. Clean One Thing Properly

not your whole life. one thing. genuinely, properly, all the way clean. your bag. your notes app. your email inbox. one drawer. the desktop of your laptop that currently has 47 files on it including something called "final final ACTUAL final version."

I know this sounds small and it kind of is? but there's something about completing one thing fully not halfway, not "good enough," actually done that resets something in your brain. it's evidence that you're someone who finishes things. and your brain needs that evidence more than you realize, especially if you've been in a stuck phase where things keep getting started and not completed.

the notes app is my personal recommendation. open it right now if you want to, I'll wait. you have unfinished thoughts in there that you started and abandoned. voice memos you recorded and never listened to. ideas from 11pm that seemed urgent and now make no sense. clear it out. the digital clutter is running in the background the same way physical clutter does. one clean, complete thing is the start of momentum, which is what a reset actually runs on.

8. Reconnect With Old You


8. Reconnect With Old You

go through old photos. actual ones, from a few years ago. or old messages, old posts, anything that shows you who you were before whatever the current stuck version is. not to be sad about it to remember that this stuck version isn't the only one. there was a person in there at some point who was excited about things, who tried things without overthinking them, who didn't have all the self-consciousness that accumulates over time.

I did this once during a rough period and found photos of myself from a summer where I tried like five new things in two months just because they sounded interesting. no strategy, no reason, just curiosity. I'd completely forgotten that version of me existed. seeing it reminded me that she was still in there, she'd just gotten buried under a lot of "is this a good idea" and "what will this look like" and "am I doing this right."

the reset isn't always about becoming someone new. sometimes it's about getting back to a version of yourself that was already good already curious and energetic and willing before life taught her to second-guess everything. that version is easier to access than you think once you remember she exists.

9. Stop Explaining Your Plans


9. Stop Explaining Your Plans

if you're the kind of person who tells people about things before they exist a project, a plan, something you're going to do I really want you to try not doing that for one month. not because it's wrong, but because sharing a plan gives your brain some of the reward of having done it. and sometimes that's enough reward that actually doing it feels less urgent.

I used to tell people about everything I was working on before I'd done any of it. it felt good. people would say "oh that sounds amazing" and I'd feel like it was already real. and then I'd sit down to actually work on it and the energy was just... different. flatter. some of the excitement had already been spent on the announcement.

move in silence for a while. not forever, just long enough to build something real. let the result be the announcement. there's a specific kind of confidence that comes from showing people a finished thing instead of pitching them an idea they can't poke holes in it, you can't be talked out of it, and the satisfaction is completely yours in a way it isn't when you've been sharing the process with an audience from the start.

10. Quit the Guilt Loop


10. Quit the Guilt Loop

here's one I really struggled with and still catch myself in sometimes. the guilt loop is when you feel bad about not doing a thing, and the guilt makes you feel worse about yourself, and feeling worse about yourself makes you less likely to do the thing, which generates more guilt, and so on forever until you've spent three weeks feeling terrible about something you also haven't done.

guilt is supposed to be useful. it's supposed to point at something, motivate you to fix it, and then leave. when it just runs on a loop it's not functioning correctly anymore it's just burning energy you could be using to actually do the thing. the reset here is genuinely just: put the guilt down. not because you don't care, but because you caring has already been established by the fact that you feel guilty. you don't need to keep proving it.

I wrote something about this over at things worth finally putting down because guilt is genuinely one of the heaviest things we carry around and it does the least work for the weight it costs. put it down. do the thing. the guilt was never the part that was going to help you get there.

11. Say the True Thing Out Loud


11. Say the True Thing Out Loud

there's something in your life that you almost never say out loud even to yourself. something you kind of know is true but keep not fully looking at because once you say it out loud it becomes real and then you have to do something about it.

maybe it's that a relationship you're in isn't working. maybe it's that you're in a direction that doesn't actually feel like yours, it just feels like the one you fell into. maybe it's that you're genuinely burnt out and have been for longer than you've admitted. maybe it's something about what you actually want that feels embarrassing or too big or unlikely. whatever it is, you know what it is.

the reset begins there, usually. not with the new habit system or the productivity method. with the honest thing you haven't been saying. say it to yourself first. write it down if that's easier. you don't have to tell anyone else but you have to tell yourself. you can't navigate honestly from a starting point you're pretending isn't where you are. that's just a more elaborate way of staying stuck and calling it something else.

12. Do One Hard Thing Today


12. Do One Hard Thing Today

not a list of hard things. one. specifically the one you've been circling for a few days, the one that's in the background of everything, the one you've thought about approximately seventeen times this week and each time decided to do later.

do it today. first. before the easier things. before you check your messages or make your bed or do literally anything else that doesn't require as much from you. because the hard thing is always available to be done and the longer you leave it the more mental energy it costs just sitting there, un-done, quietly nagging at every other thing you try to do.

the feeling after is genuinely disproportionate to the effort. like something releases in your chest. I've had days where I did one hard thing at 9am and felt weirdly calm for the rest of the day because the thing I'd been most afraid of was already done. the fear of the hard thing is almost always worse than the actual hard thing. this is information your body already knows. you just have to let it prove it to you.

13. Change What You Consume


13. Change What You Consume

not just social media everything. what podcasts you're listening to, what you read, what conversations you're having, what kind of content is going into your brain every day. your brain is being shaped constantly by inputs and if the inputs have been the same for a while, your thinking will be the same too. a reset requires new inputs.

I went through a phase where I read basically nothing except essays by people I admired and it changed how I wrote and thought in ways that took months to fully notice. not because I was copying them just because my brain was marinating in a different kind of thinking and it started to influence mine. you are what you consume in a way that's easy to underestimate until you change it and feel the difference.

one thing specifically that helped me was replacing "content I scroll past" with "things I actually chose to sit with." longer articles. actual books. conversations that go somewhere. the passive consumption vs. the chosen kind feel very different and produce very different results. your brain deserves better inputs than whatever the algorithm decides to serve it today.

14. Shrink the Goal


14. Shrink the Goal

the goal is too big. I'm saying this without knowing what your goal is because it's almost always too big, presented as one thing, when it's actually forty things stacked on top of each other wearing a trench coat. "get my life together" is not a goal. "write every day" is maybe still too big depending on where you're starting from. "write one sentence today" is a goal.

I used to have goals that were aspirational in a way that made them basically fictional. they described a version of my life that was so far from where I was that there was no clear first step, and so I never took one. when I started shrinking them embarrassingly small, smaller than felt dignified I actually started moving. the embarrassingly small version of the goal is real. the aspirational one is just a feeling.

this isn't about giving up on the big thing. it's about making the path to it real enough that you can actually be on it. a goal you can start on today is worth more than a perfect goal you've been not starting on for six months. shrink it until it's startable. then start it. the size can grow from there.

15. Let Go of the Old Version


15. Let Go of the Old Version

this is a weird one but stay with me. sometimes what's blocking the reset is that you're still attached to an older version of yourself who you were a few years ago, the identity you had before things got complicated, the person people expected you to be based on who you used to be. and that attachment is secretly running everything.

the reset requires you to stop waiting for the old version to come back. she's not coming back. she was good and she served her purpose and she got you here and she's done. the new version is still forming and that's uncomfortable there's a gap between who you were and who you're becoming where you're not fully either, and living in that gap is strange. but the gap is where the reset actually happens.

for me this looked like admitting that the person I'd been in a previous chapter of my life confident, certain, very sure about the direction wasn't who I was anymore. and that I'd been trying to perform her instead of figuring out who came next. when I stopped performing the old version there was this odd quiet. and in the quiet, slowly, the next version started to show up. she's still showing up honestly. that's fine. that's the point. and if you're also in that weird in-between place, I wrote about something similar over at how to stop waiting for something that isn't coming because the principle is the same whether you're waiting for a person or an old version of yourself.

16. Fix One Relationship


16. Fix One Relationship

there is probably at least one relationship in your life that is taking more energy than it's giving back. not in a dramatic way not a crisis, not something that needs a confrontation. just a thing that's quietly draining. a friendship that's become one-sided. a family dynamic you've never addressed. a person you've been avoiding texting back for weeks because you don't know what to say.

pick one. the smallest one if that helps. either address it directly or decide deliberately to let it go but stop doing the thing that drains the most energy, which is carrying it unresolved in the background while pretending it's fine. the unresolved thing costs you something every day. fixing it even just making a decision about it frees up space for everything else.

I fixed a friendship that had gotten weird and unspoken once by just sending a very direct, very simple message about the thing we'd both been dancing around. it felt terrifying to send. the response was warm and relieved and we talked properly for the first time in months. the energy I'd been spending on "is everything okay between us" suddenly became available for other things. relationships you've been carrying unresolved are weight. some of that weight can actually be put down.

17. Start the Day Differently


17. Start the Day Differently

not a whole morning routine, please. I know I know. but genuinely the first thirty minutes of your day are setting something. they're either handing you to the algorithm before you've had a single thought of your own, or they're giving you a few minutes of just being yours before everything else starts. that difference compounds.

I'm not telling you to journal and meditate and do affirmations. I'm telling you to try not opening your phone for the first fifteen minutes and see what happens. just sit there. or make your drink slowly. or look out the window. have one thought that's yours before you start responding to everyone else's. it sounds tiny. the effect is not tiny.

the reset is partly about reclaiming your own head the one that gets borrowed by inputs and other people's agendas and notifications before you've even gotten out of bed. fifteen minutes of yours first. that's the whole suggestion. it's the kind of small daily shift that I wrote about in my piece on romanticizing your ordinary life because the ordinary morning is where you actually live and it deserves more than being handed straight to your phone.

18. Redefine What "Behind" Means


18. Redefine What "Behind" Means

you are not behind. I know you feel behind. I know the comparison brain has decided that there's a schedule everyone else is following and you're running late on it. but that schedule doesn't exist. there is no standard timeline for having your life together by a certain age, and the people who look like they're on track are also mostly figuring it out, just with a better edited Instagram story about it.

at twenty-something it's very easy to look at finished stories the person who built the thing, the person who figured it out, the person whose life looks like it has a clear narrative and compare your in-progress, messy, still-happening story to their completed one. that's not a fair comparison. you're in the middle of yours. the middle always looks messier than the beginning or the end.

the reset here is just a permission slip. permission to be in the middle without calling it failure. permission to not have it figured out yet and still be doing okay. almost everyone around you is still figuring it out. the ones who seem certain are often just better at performing certainty, which is a skill of very limited actual value. you're fine. you're in the middle. keep going.

19. Spend Time Alone on Purpose


19. Spend Time Alone on Purpose

not lonely alone. chosen alone. there's a big difference and I think it gets overlooked. lonely alone is when you're by yourself and wishing you weren't. chosen alone is when you decide to spend time with just yourself, doing something you actually want to do, with no performance for anyone.

I started doing this intentionally about a year ago and it changed a lot of things. when you're alone without a phone or a task or anything to perform, you find out what you actually think. what you actually like. what bores you, what excites you, what you've been doing because other people expect it versus what you'd do if nobody was watching. that information is genuinely useful for figuring out what a real reset looks like for you specifically.

the version of yourself that exists when no one's watching is the one the reset is trying to reach. all the habits and systems and identity changes in the world won't stick if they're not built on what's actually true about who you are alone, in the quiet, without an audience. that's the self that needs the reset. make time to actually be with her.

20. Ask the Real Question


20. Ask the Real Question

what is the honest thing about your life that you almost never say even to yourself? not the "correct" version. not the answer that sounds like you have it together. the actual one. the thing that lives in the back of your brain during the quiet moments when you stop distracting yourself long enough to notice it.

I'll tell you mine from a while back because it feels fair: I was pretending I was fine with where I was when I genuinely wasn't, and I was calling that acceptance. it wasn't acceptance. it was avoidance with better branding. and the reset I actually needed started the day I wrote that down and had to look at it.

that question is usually where the real reset begins. not with the habits or the systems with the honest thing you've been talking around. everything else is just behaviour on top of a story you haven't updated yet. update the story first. the rest has somewhere to attach to. that's the whole thing, actually. that's it.

none of this is easy. if it was, it would already be done. but the reason you keep ending up back at "how to reset my life" isn't because you're broken it's because you've been trying to fix the surface when the thing that needs updating is underneath.

pick the one from this list that made you feel something when you read it. not the one that sounds most productive. the one that made you a little uncomfortable. that's usually the right one.

you already know enough. you've always known enough. the reset is just the moment you decide to stop knowing it and start using it. 🔄

💬 tell me in the comments what's the honest thing you almost never say? you don't have to be specific. just tell me if you have one.
if this resonated, read this next

12 Things to Stop Carrying and Be Happy

the reset gets a lot easier when you put down what's been making it heavy. twelve things it's finally time to let go of and what actually gets lighter when you do.