
Okay so picture this.
It is a random Wednesday. You are standing in front of your mirror getting ready and for absolutely no reason no new outfit, no compliment, no life update you just look at yourself and think: yeah, she is that girl.And then you go about your day differently. You speak up in a conversation you would have stayed quiet in before. You say no to something without a five-paragraph explanation. You walk into a room and do not immediately scan it to see if you belong there.
That feeling? That is your confident girl era.
And the wild thing is it is not as far away as you think it is.
Confidence is one of those things that sounds like a personality trait you either have or you do not. Like some girls were just born with it and the rest of us are supposed to spend our whole lives performing a version of it while secretly hoping nobody notices we are faking.
But that is genuinely not how it works.
Confidence is a skill. A practiced, built, accumulated-over-time skill. And like all skills, you get better at it by actually doing the things not by waiting until you feel ready.
I was not a confident girl. I am still not a confident girl every single day. But I am in a completely different relationship with myself than I was even a year ago. And these are the exact things that got me here.
No fluff, no toxic positivity. Just the real stuff that actually works.
✨ Save this it is the kind of post you will want to come back to when your brain is doing the most.
1. Stop Shrinking Yourself to Make Others Comfortable
I used to be the queen of making myself smaller.
Quieting my opinion because someone else in the room seemed more sure of theirs. Laughing off a compliment because accepting it felt too bold. Saying "I do not know, maybe" when I actually meant "yes, I am right about this."
I thought it was humility. It was not humility. It was fear dressed up as politeness.
Here is the thing nobody tells you: shrinking yourself does not actually make other people more comfortable.
It just makes you invisible. And invisible is not humble it is just absent.
Confident girls take up space. Not aggressively, not rudely just fully. They finish their sentences. They let their opinions land without immediately softening them with "but that is just me" or "I could be wrong though."
They sit at the table instead of hovering near the edge of it wondering if they were supposed to be there.
Start noticing every time you automatically make yourself smaller. Every time you qualify a statement you were sure about. Every time you apologise for existing a little too loudly.
Just notice it first. Awareness is the start. The unlearning comes after.
2. Build the Identity Before You Feel It
There was a version of me that was waiting to feel confident before acting confident.
Waiting to feel ready before starting things. Waiting to feel worthy before taking up space.
And I want to tell you something with full love: that version of me waited a very long time and got absolutely nowhere.
Confidence does not arrive before the action. It arrives because of the action.
You do the scary thing scared. You speak up with a shaking voice. You start the thing before you feel remotely qualified.
And slowly, through the actual doing of it, the evidence accumulates. You start to see yourself as someone who does things. And that identity she is confident. Not because she feels confident, but because she keeps going anyway.
Decide who you are becoming and start living as her before you fully are her.
This is not delusion. This is how identity actually works. You act your way into a new self-concept, not think your way into one.
I wrote about this starting before you are ready in my post on things I wish I knew in my 20s. Because ready is a feeling that never fully arrives, and confident girls know this.
3. Quit Seeking Validation From People Who Are Not Even Paying Attention
Genuinely one of the most freeing realisations I have ever had:
Most people are not thinking about you nearly as much as you think they are.
They are busy thinking about themselves, worrying about what you think of them, wondering if they said something weird in that conversation three days ago. The audience you are performing for in your head is largely not watching.
Validation seeking keeps you perpetually dependent on other people's reactions to feel okay about yourself.
You post something and wait anxiously for responses. You make a decision and immediately look around for approval. You change your opinion mid-sentence because someone raised an eyebrow.
Confident girls are not people who stopped caring about others. They just stopped outsourcing their self-worth to them.
They have an internal compass that does not require constant external confirmation to function.
Start making more decisions without asking for opinions first. Not big life decisions small ones. What to order, what to wear, what to say.
Build the muscle of trusting yourself in low-stakes situations and it will start to carry into the bigger ones.
4. Fix Your Inner Monologue It Is Running the Whole Show
I used to have a very active inner critic.
The kind that provided live commentary on everything I did with the energy of a disappointed parent who had been waiting to say something.
You looked awkward in that conversation. That was a stupid thing to say. Why would you even try that. She is so much better at this than you.
It was relentless. And I barely noticed it because it had been there so long it sounded like just... my thoughts.
Your inner monologue is not neutral.
It is either building your confidence or destroying it every single day often without you even realising it is happening.
And the thing is, you get to change it. Not by forcing fake affirmations you do not believe. By actually talking back to the critic.
When the voice says something harsh, treat it like you would treat someone saying that about your best friend.
Would you just nod along? Or would you say actually, that is not fair, here is what is actually true?
Be that friend to yourself. Argue back. Find the more accurate, more compassionate version of whatever the critic is saying.
This takes time. It is not a one-week fix. But the girl who has been doing this for six months sounds completely different inside her own head than she did before. And that difference shows up everywhere.
5. Have Standards And Actually Keep Them
My very unscientific theory is that a significant portion of low confidence comes from repeatedly not keeping promises to yourself.
You say you are going to do something and then you do not. You set a boundary and then you move it. You decide you deserve better and then you settle for less.
And every single time, somewhere inside you, the message lands: you cannot trust yourself.
And a girl who cannot trust herself cannot be confident. Those two things do not coexist.
Having standards is not about being difficult or high maintenance.
It is about having a relationship with yourself where your yes means yes and your no means no and you are not constantly negotiating yourself out of your own values.
Start small. Keep one small promise to yourself today. Then another tomorrow.
Build the evidence that you are someone who follows through. Because confidence is not just about how you present yourself to the world it is about how much you trust yourself when nobody is watching.
If you are working on building habits that actually stick, my post on 9 habits to start before you turn 25 covers exactly this building a relationship with yourself through small, consistent things.
6. Stop Over-Explaining Yourself No Is a Full Sentence
I used to give five-paragraph essays when someone asked me why I could not make it to something.
Full justifications, pre-emptive apologies, alternative suggestions, a small disclaimer at the end. Just in case they were upset. Just in case my no was not acceptable without sufficient evidence of why it existed.
No is a complete sentence.
You are allowed to decline things, set limits, and make choices about your own life without submitting a detailed explanation for review.
The compulsive over-explaining is not politeness. It is a symptom of not fully believing you have the right to your own decisions without permission.
Confident girls explain when explanation is relevant and kind. They do not explain to defend their right to exist as a person with preferences and limits.
Try this: next time you decline something, say what you need to say and then stop.
Resist the urge to add the extra layer. Notice how uncomfortable that silence feels. That discomfort is the boundary being new. It gets easier every time you do not fill it with justifications nobody actually asked for.
7. Do Things Alone Your Own Company Is Worth Getting Good At
The first time I went to a café alone and sat there with a book without my phone as a prop, I felt like everyone was looking at me.
They were not. They were on their own phones, in their own conversations, completely uninterested in the girl by the window having an experience.
But the discomfort of being alone in public without a buffer told me something important about how much I had been outsourcing my comfort to other people's presence.
Doing things alone forces you to be enough. Just you.
No social cover. No one to check in with. Just you deciding that your own company is sufficient for a good afternoon.
And here is what happens when you get good at this: you stop needing things to feel okay.
You stop waiting for someone to be free before you do what you want. You become genuinely comfortable in your own presence.
And a girl who is comfortable alone is not desperate in company. She is just there fully, calmly, with nothing to prove.
If you want somewhere to start, I have a whole list of solo things that are genuinely good for you check out 13 things to do to glow up this summer. The solo picnic date section alone changed something in me.
8. Dress for the Girl You Are Becoming, Not the One You Are Hiding
This is going to sound shallow and I promise it is not.
There was a period where I dressed in a way that was specifically designed not to be noticed. Colours that blended in. Styles that made no statement.
Things that said nothing about me because saying something about yourself felt like a risk.
What if they judge it. What if it is too much. What if it draws attention and then attention comes and I have to deal with that.
How you dress is a form of communication with the world and with yourself.
And when you consistently dress to disappear, you are sending yourself a message every single morning: stay small, do not stand out, be easy to overlook.
Your confident girl era might involve wearing the colour that makes you feel alive even if it is bold.
The style that actually reflects who you are even if it is different. The outfit you have been saving for a special occasion worn on a Tuesday because you decided your Tuesday is special enough.
You do not need to reinvent your wardrobe.
You just need to stop using it as a hiding place. Wear the thing. Be seen. Let your outside start matching the inside you are building.
9. Protect Your Peace Like It Is Non-Negotiable
I had this season where I said yes to everything and everyone.
Available to every person who needed something from me at any hour of any day. And I told myself it was because I was a good person.
I was not a good person. I was a person with no limits and a deep fear that if I was not useful to everyone I would lose my place in their lives.
Not the same thing at all.
Confident girls are protective of their energy not because they are selfish but because they understand something that took me embarrassingly long to learn.
You cannot pour from a cup that is consistently empty.
Saying yes to everyone else's everything is always saying no to yourself. And a girl who is always saying no to herself eventually has nothing left to bring anywhere.
Your peace is not a luxury. It is the foundation everything else is built on.
Your clarity, your focus, your ability to show up as a full person rather than a depleted one all of it depends on you treating your energy as something that has value and requires protection.
Decide what gets your energy and what does not. Then be consistent about it.
Not dramatic, not cold just consistent. Consistent is what makes a limit real instead of a wish.
10. Let Yourself Be a Work in Progress Out Loud
Here is the thing about the confident girl era that I did not expect when I started trying to build mine.
It is not a destination you arrive at where everything is figured out and self-doubt has been permanently evicted.
It is more like a way of moving through the world. A posture. A choice you make over and over.
Confidence is not the absence of fear or self-doubt or days where you feel like absolutely none of this is working.
It is the decision to move forward anyway.
To be seen even when being seen is uncomfortable. To try even when trying might mean failing. To take up space in a room, a conversation, your own life even on the days you feel like you have not earned it yet.
You are allowed to be confident and still be figuring things out.
Those two things are not contradictions. The most confident people I know are not the ones who have everything sorted they are the ones who stopped waiting until they did before living fully.
The most confident people I know are not the ones who have everything sorted. They are the ones who stopped waiting until they did.
Enter your era. Not when you feel ready. Now.
Imperfect, in-progress, still becoming now.
She is already in there. You just have to stop waiting for permission to let her out.
Your confident girl era is not a personality you download overnight.
It is a hundred small choices to speak up, to stay, to try, to trust yourself just a little more than yesterday.
Start with one thing from this list. Just one. The rest will follow.
Now go be her. ✨
.jpeg)
.jpeg)








0 Comments